Eau de Calandre (Paco Rabanne)

Sometimes, swamped in obligation and routine, you get stuck in a rut. Nothing's better to boost you out of it than a mystery, an enigma, a choice little brain-teaser.  So today I put on Eau de Calandre, a perfume about which I know next to nothing... except that I like it. Is anything more required?

I mean, I know about Calandre proper-- how Paco Rabanne (he of the chainmail-and-paillette minidresses) conceived of a futuristic fragrance that would celebrate the new space age in all its metallic glory, then named it after the radiator grille of an automobile.  But I only know these things from reading about them.  There is no direct experience of Calandre informing my encounter with its complementary Eau-- and therefore nothing to prejudice me one way or another.  I am ignorant, and content to remain so.  For once, I want to enjoy a thing without dissecting it.  Is that so bad?

Eau de Calandre is a musky little vetiver with the dazzling cold quality of daylight reflecting off of a clean pane of glass or an object made of highly polished metal.  It's modern, unisex, attractive, long-lasting, and slightly alien in the style of the Maschinenmensch from Fritz Lang's Metropolis.  It's everything that Guerlain's Vetiver wasn't (at least in my opinion).  I could wear it anywhere without anxiety.

If a woman without perfume is a woman without a future, I'm not worried.  I'm good to go.

Scent Elements: Bergamot, lemon, geranium, rose, lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, ylang-ylang, iris, vetiver, oakmoss, cedar, sandalwood, amber, musk