Five O'Clock au Gingembre (Serge Lutens)

How can one get more "run time" out of a short-lived fragrance?  Spray it on freshly-moisturized skin, on fabric (such as a handkerchief or the inside hem of one's skirt), or on one's hair.  Whereas the natural oils exuded from skin will weaken or alter a perfume's scent over time, clean hair will absorb scent readily and radiate it with great fidelity for a considerable length of time. 

The 'hair' method turned out to be ideal for Five O'Clock Gingembre, which wilted on my skin faster than a Southern belle during an Alabama heat wave.  If I hadn't applied it to my coiffure, I wouldn't have known it had ginger in it at all.  And even then, it only lasted a scant three hours, which hardly gave me time to appreciate its charms.

Granted, I was charmed.  What I smelled entranced me enough that if I had Five O'Clock Gingembre in sufficient quantities, I'd dip my hairbrush in it every single morning.  But I can get nearly the same effect by whipping up a batch of my own citrus-ginger shampoo or ginger-spice spritz, as detailed below.  (The immediate benefit?  My concoctions will set you back about three dollars, whereas Five O'Clock au Gingembre costs anywhere from $95 to $120 per 50 ml. bottle.)

Citrus-Ginger Shampoo

Grate 1 small knob of fresh ginger root into a ceramic or glass bowl.  Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water over it and let it steep until cool.  Strain off liquid into a clean cosmetic bottle.  Add 2 oz. Dr. Bronner's Citrus Liquid Castile Soap and swirl gently to dilute.  Wash hair with mixture and rinse well with cool water.

Ginger-Spice Spritz for Clean Hair

Grate 1 ginger root into a ceramic or glass bowl.  Add one cinnamon stick and several cloves.  Pour 2 cups of boiling water over contents of bowl  and let it steep until cool.  Strain and transfer into a spray-pump bottle.  Mist clean hair with mixture and let air-dry.  Brush from root to tip to release scent.

Scent Elements: Ginger, tea, bergamot, cinnamon, cacao, honey, amber, vetiver, patchouli, pepper, vanilla, woods