Neroli Sauvage (Creed)

Today is the first day we have seen the sun here in what seems like a month. The dank atmosphere heavy with moisture and leaden, overcast sky have given way (after a spate of thunderstorms) to a crystalline morning-- cool, dry, really almost what you would expect of September. Not a day too late, I might add.

Today I'm wearing Creed's Neroli Sauvage. There's a bit of misdirection at work in the name of this fragrance, for neroli is not actually its centerpiece at all. Instead it's lemon verbena, radiating the healthful chartreuse of sunlight filtered through young leaves. Not expecting anything of the sort, I first found myself staggered -- and delighted -- by its presence. Now, many wearings later, my delight is all in the predictability of my response, which remains a joyful one.   Few aromatics are so wild, so green, so vibrant as verbena; here, the crisp astringency of yellow grapefruit zest emphasizes the sense of life-force fully awakened and gives it a quirky peppery lilt. 

But just as every cloud has a silver lining, so conversely does every silver lining have a touch of tarnish. Neroli Sauvage's is small, but in all fairness it must be mentioned: a sort of flat, woody, "clean" men's-fragrance drydown that strikes me as too commonplace for this pretty gem. Still, all those wearings have taught me that this stage will not arrive until a bit later, so at least I have the morning to enjoy all the sun and sparkle.

It's long overdue.

Scent Elements: Bergamot, grapefruit, neroli, lemon verbena, ambergris