Tainted Love (Tokyo Milk)

I am sitting on a NJ Transit bus en route to midtown Manhattan. The fellow travelers seated directly behind me must have eaten breakfast at Subway, for they smell powerfully of garlic, raw onion, and red vinegar. I feel claustrophobic, nauseous, a mite dizzy. I suspect that my attempts to inhale exclusively through my mouth might be heading me toward hyperventilation.

In the kitchen, a handy remedy against garlic's sulphurous reek is vanilla. Some constituent of vanillin knows just how to do battle against all manner of mephitic smells. For this very reason, I now keep my nose glued to my wrist, where a more-than-homeopathic dose of Tainted Love is busy keeping me from losing my wits completely.

Like Bittersweet, Tainted Love is a whopping gourmand, but without the curiously inedible second act. In this case, a middling sandalwood is roused to life by a jet-black leathery vanilla bean soaked in oaken-cask-aged Martinique rhum vieux. It smells like the best bread pudding that ever came out of an oven-- and so far, it seems to be holding my neighbors' garlic demons at bay.

I may be jumping the gun here... but Tainted Love might just be my new Rescue Remedy.

Scent Elements: Dark vanilla bean, orchid, white tea, sandalwood