Rien (État Libre d'Orange)

État Libre d'Orange's Rien is a glossy black patent leather mixed with incense and citrus, like a Shinto offering left by accident on a Harajuku street corner. It is "nothing" in exactly the same desultory sense appropriated by a woman in a stunning couture gown who drawls, "What, this old rag?"

I am happy to have lost and then regained my sample of Rien long after I reviewed several less-inspiring ELdO fragrances (such as Antihéros and Eloge du Traître). I might have begun to form the opinion (similar to that which I hold for Parfumerie Générale) that their repertoire, while very nice, is uniformly bland and not worth continued persistence. How wrong I would have been! Consider my interest -- stoked to high heaven by Like This and tickled more than a little by Cumming -- renewed.

Scent Elements: Aldehydes, rose, iris, black pepper, cumin, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum, styrax, incense, leather