Turbulences (Revillon)

Reading Blacknall's lively couture-influenced ode to tuberose on A Perfume Blog today made me feel a little wistful. I know so many devotees of Polianthes tuberosa, I feel sad to confess that this flower and I seem always to be at odds. Some obsolete Victorian strand in my DNA detects a touch of the mortuary in those white petals and votes to give them wide berth... or perhaps a New World ghost whispered in my ear the Aztec name for tuberose (omixochitl, 'bone flower') and I took it too much to heart.

Just yesterday, Natalie shared her take on Turbulences by Revillon on Another Perfume Blog, and glee filled my soul. Like Natalie, I'd received my sample from sweet Undina; having tucked it away carefully in the reserve box until VintageFest could be resurrected, I now felt prompted to bring it out for a test drive. Natalie describes it as an 'aldehydic rose' with a lemony tartness; to me, this sounded like just the ticket for a sluggish morning.

And so I wore it today, and all I got was tuberose -- wax-white and fleshy, shaded pale vegetal green at the petal's heart, dusted (as if by pollen) with clinging, soapy nutmeg. I felt sluggish, lulled, and still unsettled, as if caught in a strong undertow I couldn't fight. I will not pretend that I didn't sort of like this helpless languor; it seemed to me much like the descent into sleep-- but what I really wanted was a soprano-pure clarion call to wake me up, up, UP!

So once more, thoughts roiling, I stand regarding tuberose. Turbulences spoke eloquently on its behalf, I will concede. But where our two surfaces meet is that same old fundamental tension that nothing seems able to sweeten.

Scent Elements: Bergamot, greens, carnation, tuberose, iris, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, rose, mint, sage, caraway, nutmeg, pepper, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla