Fleurs de Nuit (Badgley Mischka)

Before she was Mrs. F. Scott Fitzgerald, Zelda Sayre posed for a camera in her mother's rose garden in Montgomery, Alabama. Nineteen but looking about twelve, she wore a costume designed for a society ballet in which she played the timely role of "Folly". This couldn't have been more fitting, for in Montgomery she was recognized as a notorious "boodler"-- a flirt, a cut-up, a gum-cracking-gin-drinking Confederate hellcat. But she was also the most popular debutante in town, revered, cosseted, and pursued by all.

Did they know they could never have her? Fitzgerald's engagement ring already graced her finger. Even he would fail to pin her down. In ten years' time, she'd be well on her way to madness, that Mount Olympus beyond all mortal reach, where demons dissemble and gods disguise themselves as hospital orderlies.

Fleurs de Nuit has got me thinking of Zelda today. This beautiful white floral (in which magnolia predominates with the irresistible force of a typical Southern lady, powerful yet curiously yielding) overcomes all of my notions about the genre. I'd convinced myself that white florals are too indolic or deathly-sweet or delicately bridal-- that they're "not for the likes of me". But then I think of Zelda, and Edna Millay, and Sylvia Plath, and Diane Arbus, and Edie Sedgwick, all those doomed girls who burned like phosphorus before their fateful hour, and I find that Fleurs de Nuit IS for the likes of me.... so long as I'm the likes of them.

Scent Elements: Magnolia, quince blossom, bergamot, greens, jasmine, orange blossom, peach, woods, amber