L'Ambre des Merveilles Eau de Parfum (Hermès)

Anger is not one of those emotions any sane person seeks to perpetuate. At some point, respite must be sought, if only to recharge one's batteries for the fresh hell that awaits when Monday rolls around.

In an attempt to bring some mercy to my mood, I'm spritzing Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles like there's no tomorrow. It seems to be working, for I feel much less combative today under the tranquilizing sorcery of Jean-Claude Ellena's gentle, expansive amber. It has much the same rage-blunting effect as Opus Amouage I, but at half the price. Better yet, I could simply purchase a bottle of Dior Dune-- the most ozonic, oceanic, ambergris-laden labdanum on the market, and by far the most affordable.

Hour for hour, any of these "amber marvels" beats office psychotherapy hands-down. It makes no small difference that they bring vicarious pleasure to others, as well. I am reminded of the phenomenon that Toni Morrison termed "devil's confusion": He lets me look good long as I feel bad. Swap out the visual for the olfactory with a dose of L'Ambre des Merveilles, and you can trail a sillage like heaven while carrying around your hell.

Scent Elements: Mandarin, labdanum, vanilla, black pepper, patchouli, cedar, ambergris