Juste un Rêve (Parfums de Nicolaï)

When I hear the name of this perfume, I think of that Nelly video in which he and his girlfriend break up in a car floating fifty feet over the ocean. Now, that doesn't make me cry. But for some reason, the breathtakingly beautiful Nelly/Mars mashup performed by Anna Kendrick in Pitch Perfect completely reduces me to helpless, snot-nosed weeping.

A song can do that to you-- pierce you with its sweetness, then vanish. A movie can do that to you-- like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, when Clementine whispers "Meet me in Montauk..." seconds before she's erased from Joel's memory forever. But a ditzy little tropical fantasy floral perfume isn't supposed to make you cry. Is it?

Who knows. When you consider that strange phantom feeling of melancholic regret that can hover like a sudden cloud-shadow over the end of summer, maybe it can after all.
So I traveled back down that road
Will she come back? No one knows
And I realize
It was only just a dream

Scent Elements: Apricot, coconut, tuberose, jasmine, hyacinth, iris, sandalwood, vanilla