Wonderwood (Comme des Garçons)

You know those bumper stickers that bravely assert, "So'n'So said it; I believe it; that settles it"? Wonderwood is the entire Comme des Garçons Incense Series all mixed together, with the wood notes predominating. It's nothing new, but nevertheless, it smells vast and rich and splendiferous. No matter how many times or in how many other fragrances I've already encountered its rather generalized charms, it just keeps on singing my song.

I find I can't dismiss something so penetratingly lovely just for being derivative. Plus, in these days of deforestation, I find Wonderwood's proud admission of the use of synthetic wood accords reassuring rather than disappointing. Perfumer Antoine Lie has created a forest from a chemistry set, proving that no old-growth tree populations need be decimated for the sake of art. Bravo!

Scent Elements: Bergamot, Madagascan pepper, caraway, nutmeg, Somalian incense, vetiver, oud, guaiac wood, Virginia cedar, cypress, Javanol (sandalwood/cream accord), Pachminol (sandalwood/rose accord) Cristalon (plum/rose accord), Cashmeran (musk/apple accord)