The effects of sun and unwashed hair on Yves Rocher Verbena.

Doesn't that sound like either a one-act play, or a science project, or both? (Sincerest apologies to Staten Island's own Paul Zindel, may he rest with the angels.) But it's true. I only reached for Yves Rocher Verbena (or Verveine, comme elle est appelée en français) because I wanted something pleasant but quick to fade on a very hectic day. But today was not one of my hair-washing days; consequently I ended up spraying Verveine on my long locks-- and oh boy, did that change the game.

Normally fleeting, this very simple fragrance suddenly comes across as rich, spicy-musky, and complex when combined with the scent of warm human hair given a day's reprieve from shampoo and a good airing out under old Sol. Even the color of my hair -- a natural chestnut -- seemed brighter, more fiery, really almost auburn. I felt positively pre-Raphaelite. I'll never spray Verveine on skin again, now that I know where it's meant to go.