Rubi Extrait de Parfum (Vero Profumo)

All right-- first of all, the name. As printed on my sample vial (not a decant; it hailed directly from Vero Profumo), it's Rubi with an 'i'. According to Birgit of Olfactoria's Travels, Vero Kern elongated the 'i' into a 'j' to avoid a sticky trademark infringement. Fair enough. But what's really derivative about Rubi is not its name, but its smell-- a Pixy Stix fruit-sugar accord that some people, for some reason, find utterly original. Me, I just think it's an upmarketed Flower by Kenzo-- louder, more expensive, and way harder to get.

I can hear you now: And your point is? Look, I loved Kiki... but only because I love Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur. I also loved Onda... but only because I love Cabochard and Jolie Madame. Do you see where I'm going with this? When the scenery is no different and the destination exactly the same, why go that extra mile for what looks like a typo?

Scent Elements: Moroccan orange blossom, Egyptian jasmine, musk