Je Reviens Vintage Eau de Parfum (Worth)

I have absolutely no idea what year my bottle was produced. It's a white frosted glass boule flacon -- modeled after Worth's Dans La Nuit flacon in midnight blue, all stars and romance -- with a ground-glass stopper (oh so classic!) and a tiny metal 'W' pendant slung around its neck. The stopper alone would be considered anomalous for something new, so I'm content to imagine the word "vintage" as a description for twenty to forty years ago. The contents are a distillation of every spring flower imaginable, sweet and bright, tussled by a crisp northerly wind. There's a goodly slug of jasmine for sex appeal, and a drydown which veers into animalic territory without ever becoming vulgar.

All in all, Je Reviens is a complimentary portrait-- not of the couture for which the House of Worth is justly famed, but of the woman to be found inside all the silks and satins. She is not just a mannequin, but a warm-blooded individual with a point of view. I didn't think I'd like her as much as I do, but I'm glad I trusted my friend KV, for whom Je Reviens is a touchstone. Now I understand why.

Scent Elements: Aldehydes, jasmine, hyacinth, lilac, orange blossom, violet, ylang ylang, narcissus, jonquil, oakmoss, sandalwood, balsam Tolu, vetiver, musk