Parfum du Jour: The Smell of Weather Turning (LUSH)

Why wear it? To mark the hesitant appearance of the first flakes of snow, glimpsed through the kitchen window this morning as the last of the Thanksgiving Nor'easter blew through our backyard.

What does it do? The Smell of Weather Turning offers the olfactory equivalent of a kaleidoscopic view, revolving through stormy blue-grey, startling green, lucent honey-amber, and smoky silver, with intermittent flashes of lightning designed to temporarily dazzle one speechless.

How do I feel? Not to toot my own horn, but at this moment, I feel quite accomplished. I started the morning by whipping up a gorgeous batch of pumpkin-bacon-date muffins. After watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade over coffee, I began prepping our evening feast. As we speak, a big pan of panko-crusted baked macaroni and cheese is browning in the oven. A delicious mixture of pecans, chopped dried fruits, and shallots sauteed in butter and cider waits to be stuffed into butterflied pork chops, then oven-baked in more cider, olive oil, and fresh sage leaf chiffonade. After that, all we have to do is pop the steam-in-the-bag green beans into the microwave, and it will be Bon Appétit! As promised, the pie (apple) and cream (whipped) are store-bought, and there's Maine Root Pumpkin Pie Soda for a digestif. But through all this, I remain grateful to the core for my spouse, who helped me do it all, as he always does. (That's why the biggest, juiciest pork chop is destined for his plate!)