Eau de Givenchy Vintage Eau de Toilette (Givenchy)

Today I'm wearing Eau de Givenchy as a eulogy to my friend Mary, who thrifted-and-gifted me the vintage mini-bottle now in my Scent Cabinet. Before, it was simply a magnificent fragrance for the hottest days of summer, a lavish little long-lasting treat. But on this day in cold December, it seems much less plentiful and permanent than before. I feel myself in the painful grip of a desire to keep Eau de Givenchy as a cherished memento of my friend. To do so, I realize that I will have to work very hard from this point forward not to use it up. But my preservationist impulse is not so great that I would refuse to wear it right now-- in tribute.

Right now I'm remembering being out and about with Mary-- the way we'd joke our way through jam-packed antique barns and thrift shops, me on the lookout for perfume, Mary on the make for pedestal cake plates on which to display her stupendous collection of vintage hats like a series of fancy pastries. We'd pick up one random item after another and endlessly crack wise; invariably our attitudes would soften, and many of these objects of ridicule would end up in our shared shopping basket. Once, we stood for almost forty-five minutes going through a basket of vintage photographs, making up names, backstories, captions to be spoken in customized funny voices for every single one. We could have gone for forty-five minutes longer, but there was more to see. Always more to see.
C'est si bon,
De partir n'importe où,
Bras dessus bras dessous,
En chantant des chansons.
C'est si bon....

Eau de Givenchy (1980) is an elegant, crisp floral eau de cologne for women. Packaged in blue, black, and silver, it may have reminded consumers of YSL Rive Gauche, but the scent within reads more like a tribute to Green Water-- logical, as Hubert de Givenchy received his early couture tutelage from the great Jacques Fath. Discontinued for a time, in 2007 Eau de Givenchy was added to the "Les Parfums Mythiques" collection, where it still appears to reside. I do not know if it has been reformulated. I can't imagine it hasn't... but I can hope. You see, it reminds me so much of Mary when she was alive: zingy, crisp, with a bit of bite up front for sweetness to hide slyly behind. A nonpareil. A keeper. A favorite.

C'est si bon.

Scent Elements: Grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, mint, red fruit, ylang-ylang, honeysuckle, jasmine, narcissus, tuberose, lily-of-the-valley, rose, cyclamen, iris, sandalwood, musk, cedar, oakmoss (Eau de Givenchy)