Parfum du Jour: Daring (Isabella Rossellini for Coty)

Why wear it? It's as familiar and welcome as an old friend-- and judging from the amount of perfume left in the sprayer, it's a friend I've visited more often than I realized.

What does it do? As I described once before, Daring really does smell like a perfume-imbued letter left to mellow for half a century. The stationery carries the curiously old-fashioned scent of daphne, a garden favorite whose flowers infuse the air with promises of honey for the bee.  At the time of this reunion, I'm struck by notes of cedar dust and black pepper which I never noticed before. What luck to have letter that keeps unfolding to reveal hidden paragraphs!

How do I feel? Well, today I'm kind of low. I woke up with the usual ever-present morning headache, and I can't seem to rouse myself to any level of energy higher than weary impatience. The world is a minefield of contradictions, secrets, and tensions; my own cranium isn't much more peaceful. I am so tired. And so I spray on a little more Daring and hum to myself snatches of that old Fats Waller tune:
I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter... and make believe it came from you.
I'm gonna write words oh, so sweet, they're gonna knock me off my feet;
Kisses on the bottom-- I'll be glad I got 'em!
And then I'll smile and say, "Hope you're feeling better"... and sign "With Love" the way you do.
I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter... and make believe it came from you.