Kitty Girl Eau de Parfum (Preferred Fragrance)

How did I come by it? I bought it at Big Lots for fifty cents. It was marked down half-off. That should give you an idea of how seriously to take it.

Why did I come by it? It's simple. Now Smell This announced an upcoming challenged called Fake It Friday. Participants are to find, wear, and report back about a cheap dupe of an established (and more costly) perfume. You know, the kind whose name and packaging imitates those of its betters, with the addition of the cautionary tagline "Our impression of ( )" or If you like ( ), you'll love ( )!"

Well, I don't like Katy Perry Purr, and I don't love Kitty Girl, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with them. Neither is reprehensible; Purr represents the youthful scent zeitgeist of this decade, and Kitty Girl mirrors it, and there you have it. They're harmless, hyper-sweetened, sexy-childish fruity florals with pastel packaging and all the fancy frosting this genre promises and delivers by the truckload.

Here's the specs on Katy Perry Purr, courtesy of Katy Perry Parfums: Frisky and feline, Purr's fruity, floral scent is ready to pounce. Top Notes: Peach Nectar, Forbidden Apple and Green Bamboo. Middle Notes: Jasmine Blossom, Pink Freesia, and Bulgarian Rose. Bottom* Notes: Vanilla Orchid, Creamy Sandlewood (sic) and White Amber.

Here's Kitty Girl, via Amazon: By being both playful and seductive this distinctive signature is soft enough for everyday use yet special enough for the most romantic evenings... Top note of fresh morning fruit with an abundance of peach nectar and granny smith (sic) apple. A middle floral note of jasmine and rose is warmed and rounded with elements of precious woods and amber. Kitty Girl is not associated with the maker of Purr by Katy Perry.

Alrighty then!

Kitty Girl doesn't smell as good as Purr, which is not saying much insofar as I don't really prefer Purr, but then again I'm not a nine-year-old girl, so there's that. I could just as easily say "Kitty Girl doesn't smell as good as Vera Wang Princess" or "Kitty Girl doesn't smell as good as Britney Spears Fantasy" for all that there's any distinctions between them. I will say that it smells better than Exceptional... Because You Are, but only just, and probably because it cost me a mere four bits for eight whole milliliters. (Eight milliliters! What on earth am I going to do with it all?)

Still, I expect that a grade-schooler with money to burn could do worse than Kitty Girl. If I were her mother, I wouldn't reflexively rush her into the bathtub after one application. Three applications within an hour, maybe. But I hope that by her age, any daughter of mine would have developed a taste for Arabie or vintage Miss Dior instead. I mean, honestly.

*Sure, they could have said "base notes", but "bottom" certainly leads one to imagine Ms. Perry's pert posterior (ahem).

Scent Elements: Peach, apple, jasmine, rose, woods, amber, white musk