Lagerfeld Cologne (Karl Lagerfeld)

Some kind of serendipity keeps leading me back to Karl Lagerfeld. By no means have I sampled all of his offerings, and I hesitate to try his latter-day wares, which all look frankly cheap and cheesy. But his bygone aesthetic-- which informed fragrances such as classic Chloé, KL, Sun Moon Stars, Lagerfeld and Lagerfeld Photo -- remains solid.

I once had a bottle of Lagerfeld EdT which I enjoyed for a time. But I knew I'd never wear it often enough to justify the space it occupied in the Scent Cabinet, so I let it get swept away in the Great Purge of 2015. Recently, I scored a mini-bottle of vintage Lagerfeld Cologne, which I actually like better than the EdT. Spicy and full-bodied, with a unisex softness, it occupies the same "lazy Sunday morning" reality as La Nuit de l'Homme. Following a crisp citrus overture, mellow tobacco and tarragon interplay beautifully with a sharp, fresh nutmeg accord that perks up the senses before coumarin smooths it to a shine. It starts with a sunburst, proceeds like a dream, and fades down to a satisfied sigh.

Lagerfeld Cologne is a sanguine fragrance which upholds old traditions faithfully without coming off as a vintage bore. It's an easy wear, and wear it I shall. In fact, I'm wearing it right now as I type-- and believe me, it's hard to type when you keep having to stop to huff your own wrists.

Scent Elements: Bergamot, sweet orange, tarragon, jasmine, iris, rose, nutmeg, tonka bean, tobacco, patchouli, sandalwood, cedarwood, oak, amber, vanilla, musk